Listen, I don’t mean to be a buzz-kill if this is your thing, but here we go:
Farm Raised Salmon has been fed GMO grains, and is ALSO chemically treated to give it it’s pink hue. They are fed high levels of antibiotics..the highest of ALL livestock. They also have 7 levels higher of PCB than wild salmon. Bastards.
Ractopamine- Sprayed on 80% of American pig and cattle. “In an early Canadian study, monkeys given ractopamine “developed daily tachycardia”– rapid heart beat. Rats fed ractopamine developed a constellation of birth defects like cleft palate, protruding tongue, short limbs, missing digits, open eyelids and enlarged heart.Two cousin drugs of ractopamine, clenbuterol and zilpaterol, cause such adrenalin effects in humans they are banned by the Olympics. Cyclist Alberto Contador failed a Tour de France anti-doping test in 2010 for levels of clenbuterol which he said he got from eating meat. Clenbuterol has been banned or restricted in meat after human toxicities. “The use of highly active beta-agonists as growth promoters is not appropriate because of the potential hazard for human and animal health,” wrote the journal Talanta.” (source Alternet)
- Flame Retardant Sports Drinks- One plus here is SOME companies have pulled BVO from their sports drinks since the word got out but double check on drinks such as Sunkist, Mountain Dew and other “citrusy” drinks. BVO is linked to endocrine and nervous disorders to name a few. Bottom line, it’s categorized as a flame retardant and it’s derived from corn and soy oil which we already know is pure GMO.
- Papaya- This one saddens me. I have memories of my late father and I enjoying a papayas together. It is one of my favorite fruits yet I rarely get the opportunity to eat them anymore. Papayas grown in Hawaii are all highly likely GMO (or contaminated) and are one of the most common GMO crops of all as. Speaking of GMOS…
- Food coloring- This one kills me. Heavily linked to ADHD, hyperactivity, behavioral issues in children and let’s not forget cancer.
“Blue dye number 1 and 2 are linked with cancer in animal tests, while red dye number 3 causes thyroid tumors in rats. Green dye number 3 is linked to bladder cancer, and yellow dye number 6 is linked to tumors of the kidneys and adrenal glands. While these colors are readily used in most processed, prepared and packaged foods, what bothers me the most is that they are commonplace in the diets of children. Most candy, cakes, cupcakes, baked goods, maraschino cherries, fruit cocktail, gelatin desserts, and soft drinks contain these harmful substances, which serve no other purpose than to make so-called food look “pretty” and attract children whose bodies are particularly sensitive to them during the developmental years.” (Foodmatters).
- Bread with Potassium Bromate- Despite discovering this additive has been found to cause cancer in lab rats, 35 years later the FDA has done nothing about it. Here is the abstract in which they refer to it as “a new renal carcinogen”.
- Olestra- This garbage is so bad it comes with a warning label that states it can cause abdominal pain, ANAL LEAKAGE, and gastrointestinal distress…(they had me anal leakage). These issues of course can lead to nutrient deficiency. More on Olestra here.
- Arsenic Laden Chicken- Sigh..Need I say more? (Banned in the European Union).
- Preservatives BHA and BHT“BHA and BHT can induce allergic reactions in the skin . The International Agency for Research on Cancer classifies BHA as a possible human carcinogen . The European Commission on Endocrine Disruption has also listed BHA as a Category 1 priority substance, based on evidence that it interferes with hormone function .Long-term exposure to high doses of BHT is toxic in mice and rats, causing liver, thyroid and kidney problems and affecting lung function and blood coagulation .BHT can act as a tumour promoter in certain situations . Limited evidence suggests that high doses of BHT may mimic estrogen , the primary female sex hormone, and prevent expression of male sex hormones , resulting in adverse reproductive affects.” (DavidSuzuki.org) Check your breakfast cereals!
Milk and Dairy Products with rBGH/rBST (Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone) which is a synthetic hormone injected into cows to force them produce more milk and grow bigger faster. Basically GMO milk. Let’s take a moment and consider how that might affect your children and their growth. There is a reason we are seeing premature development in young children. Let’s not forget it is also linked to cancer. Anytime you mess with hormones that risk naturally increases. I urge you to watch this 4 minute clip for better understanding by consumer advocate and author Jeffrey M. Smith. The author of Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies about the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You’re Eating” and Genetic Roulette: The Gamble of Our Lives